- Personal Introductions
- Overview of HOU
(Possible items to use: Power Point, High School curriculum, Success stories such as student discoveries of supernova and Kuiper belt object, CNN video, research projects in asteroid and supernova search, world-wide telescope network that HOU is developing, …) Goal for TRA: Be a role model. “Follow in Footsteps TRA”
- Mini-Intro to Image Processing software, Tools
Use TERC Middle School Intro
- Classroom Activity (Non-Computer): Pixels–ccd camera–egg carton model
Optional overhead projector with clear plastic fishing tackle box with rice.
Call attention to SA-1 page 14. Time permitting, do the activity.
- Introduction to sky orientation and observing techniques, Uncle Al’s Starwheels.
[LHS supplies cardstock copies.] Use Starwheel to demo how rotation of Earth affects what parts of the sky are visible, that the sky looks the same , for example, in November at 2 am and January at 10 pm, and e.g. at what time is Orion highest in the sky on New year’s eve. Optional intro to RA and Dec. Do some sort of tour of universe, eg. pretty pictures, Powers of 10 video, download FITS images from HOU website.
- Explore HOU Website. Image archive, Explorations.
Optionally show Image Request Page. Download images etc.
- Intro to CD, Installing Software, loading images,
what equipment is needed for HOU.
- Jupiter’s Moons
Optional M51 fake–find supernova, or asteroid finding
- Introduction to online course
Give ID and password and calendar (for MOL)
- Commitment & Expectations of participants
Statement of minimum requirement of what to include: elements from Intro to Image Processing, Finding Features, Measuring Size, Measuring Brightness, Searching for Supernova. Testing of students.
- Feed Back
- Schedule follow-up meeting/Star Party (with telescopes/binoculars/eyeballs)